Living and Working in Luxembourg
The Grand Duchy of Luxembourg, and in particular its capital, offers a truly cosmopolitan environment. Out of a population of some 511,000, 43% are foreign residents while no less than 60% of residents in Luxembourg City come from 143 different countries.
Working in Luxembourg
Working in the Luxembourg financial centre is a challenging experience and, due to the presence of numerous multinational companies, can be the starting point for an international career. Most of the major international banks have a branch or a subsidiary in Luxembourg.
Around 48,000 people are employed directly, and another 30,000 indirectly, by the financial services industry, of which around 23% are of Luxembourg nationality. The remaining 77% are composed of foreign residents in Luxembourg and cross-border commuters from neighbouring France, Belgium and Germany. As such, Luxembourg is characterised by a highly stimulating multinational and cosmopolitan environment. The financial centre is steadily recruiting skilled, multilingual staff. Regarding work permits for non EU-citizens, Luxembourg adopted new legislation in July 2008 that simplifies the granting of a work permit to highly qualified individuals.
Living in Luxembourg
Luxembourg is situated at a crossroads of the European motorway network, is linked to the French TGV train network and has an attractive, modern airport, thus offering rapid and practical connections to the principal European capital cities.
All residents in Luxembourg benefit from a comprehensive social security system. It covers family benefits, unemployment insurance, work accident insurance, health care, old age and disability pensions as well as long-term care insurance. Employees and the self-employed are automatically enrolled in their respective state social security system and, in the majority of cases, benefits extend to family members, such as the spouse, children and other dependent family members in the household.
Luxembourg is politically stable, enjoys a low unemployment rate and has a healthy economy. As such, it is a very competitive world player.
As a capital city, Luxembourg offers a multitude of events and first class infrastructure in the cultural and sporting spheres. While regularly hosting world famous artists, the calendar also includes a number of fêtes, fairs and other customs often dating back to the Middle Ages and still celebrated with energy. Finally, gastronomy in Luxembourg is widely reputed for its quality and international variety, while the indigenous wines of the Grand Duchy are appreciated well beyond its frontiers.
The local educational system is based on the three official languages which are French, German and the mother tongue Luxembourgish (Lëtzebuergesch), as well as on English. This enables anyone who has been schooled in Luxembourg to do business with the surrounding countries (Belgium, France and Germany) as well as with the international business community.
Training & Higher Education
In terms of professional training and higher education, Luxembourg is well equipped. With a view to promoting continuous training, the Luxembourg School of Finance at the University of Luxembourg and the Institute for Training in Banking (IFBL – L’Institut) institutions offering provide specific training in banking and finance. In addition to these, a large number of institutions offering training and higher education programmes are present in Luxembourg.